Detailed project information below updates.
Update August 28, 2018: Watermain replacement work on Herzberg between Legget and Carling has commenced. The contractor intends to complete the watermain renewal and road construction including temporary forcemain installation on the east side of Herzberg this year. Construction notices were delivered and approved traffic control measures will be in place:
- During AM peak periods (7 – 9 AM), there will be one lane open in each direction along Herzberg. Additionally, at the Herzberg and Legget intersection, the northbound left turn lane is to remain open.
- During PM peak periods (3:30 – 6 PM), there will be one lane open in each direction along Herzberg. Additionally, at the Herzberg and Carling intersection, the southbound left turn lane is to remain open.
- The contractor is permitted to close lanes as required during off peak periods. A full closure is not permitted during the week.
- In order to complete work on Herzberg just North of Carling, a full closure of Herzberg will be permitted over 1 weekend – appropriate signage and a detour will be provided for this closure.
- When the existing cycling facility is impacted by construction work, a “shared-use lane single file” sign will be used.
Phase 2 of this project involves the construction of a sanitary sewer roughly 2 km long to convey flows east from Legget Drive and Herzberg Road to the upstream end of the North Kanata Trunk Sewer Phase 1 that was constructed in 2002. In order to facilitate the construction of the trunk sewer, a temporary forcemain on Legget and Herzberg will be constructed. Due to the extent of the work, the road will require full reconstruction. Sidewalks and raised cycle tracks will be at the same time, at minimal additional cost.
PROJECTED IMPLEMENTATION DATES
- Complete Installation of Temporary Forcemain on Legget and Herzberg: September 2018 – November 2018. There will only be minimal traffic disruptions as the work is being completed on the edge of the roadway.
- The majority of the sewer work and road reconstruction of Herzberg and Legget is expected to take place between May 2019 – December 2019
The sidewalk on Herzberg Road between Carling Avenue and Legget Drive within the project limits will improve pedestrian connectivity within the area. The existing sidewalk width and material will also be brought up to current City standards. The proposed roadway modification generally improves the level of service of pedestrians.
Safety for cyclists will be greatly improved on Herzberg Road given the installation of cycle tracks and conventional bike lanes. The buffer separating the cyclists from the vehicle travel lanes will reduce conflicts between motorists and cyclists. The proposed roadway modification improves the level of service of cyclists.
No new transit infrastructure is planned.
At the intersection of Herzberg and Legget the southbound right-turn channel will be removed. Vehicle levels of service are projected to remain similar to existing conditions.
- Adjacent Land Uses
No impacts are anticipated for the lands adjacent to the proposed road modifications.