Together we can lift these families out of despair and offer hope.
Stay informed, join a sponsorship group, donate and volunteer.
Mayor Jim Watson launched Refugee 613, United for Refugees, on October 1, 2015. The Mayor along with members of Council, including myself, welcomed residents, local agencies, and subject-matter experts at City Hall to mobilize the community to help refugees of the Syrian crisis. More than 1,000 attended and a centralized website, Refugee 613 (www.refugee613.ca) was announced.
To help co-ordinate activities in Kanata, I held a meeting on October 15th, so that those who want to help can meet with existing groups which have applied for a family, but need broader community support. Community support to find housing and to assist the family in adjusting to a new life in Canada is essential. Local groups who have applied to support a family, need the support of yourself and others to fundraise, greet and lend a helping hand to the refugees during their first year in Canada. Most refugees are well educated and are motivated to find a safe place for their families. Canada is home to people from many parts of the world, which has enriched our nation, and these new neighbours will do the same.
One local group that you can contact to lend your support is the Kanata Stittsville Refugee Sponsorship Group (KSRSG). These are local churches, experienced in supporting refugee families, who seek to help with the refugee crisis. Here is their contact information:
– Glen Cairn United Church – Kanata, 613-836-4756, email@example.com
– Kanata United Church – Kanata, 613-592-5834, firstname.lastname@example.org
– St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church – Stittsville, 613-831-1256, email@example.com
– St. John’s Anglican Church – Kanata, 613-592-4747, firstname.lastname@example.org
– St. Paul’s Anglican Church – Kanata, 613-836-1001, email@example.com
– St. Thomas’ Anglican Church – Stittsville, 613-836-5741, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Stittsville United Church – Stittsville, 613-836-4962, email@example.com
These churches can also provide charitable receipts for donations for sponsoring refugees.