CRIME ALERT: THEFT From VEHICLE/Secure Valuables
Issue: Thefts from vehicles and Break and Enters in Kanata/Stittsville. We generally see a marked increase in reports of theft and break and enter as the weather gets warmer.
What you can do – Safety Tips:
By changing your behaviour when it comes to putting valuables out of sight and locking up, you can reduce the risk of being targeted for theft.
- Ensure your garage, shed, home and vehicle are always locked, even when you are home. Do not leave valuables in plain view.
- Park facing the street and in a well lit area so that anyone tampering with your vehicle is more noticeable.
- Don’t leave any valuables in your vehicle. Personal identification, vehicle registration, insurance certificates or credit cards, etc, even loose change can make your vehicle a target.
- Place an “All Valuables Removed” card on your car to help remind you to remove valuables before leaving your car and also deter would-be thieves. http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/crimeprevention/safetyandpreventiontips/roadsafety/safety_theft_prevention.aspx> ”
- Report any/all suspicious incidents or incidents of theft to Ottawa Police at 613-236-1222, ext. 7300
- Consider a residential alarm system to provide additional security and deterrence.
- Consider a Home Security Inspection (FREE) from OPS
- Consider starting/joining Neighbourhood Watch.
Kanata/Stittsville CPC Officer: Constable Lori Fahey Telephone: 236-1222, Ext #2005