As part of continuing service improvements to residents, the City of Ottawa today launched a new online feature allowing payment cards (credit cards and Interac Online) for online payment of property taxes. Because residents have requested more flexible online payment options, MasterCard, VISA and American Express, as well as Interac Online will now be accepted to make secure online property tax payments as a new payment service.
The number of payment card transactions with the City grew to almost $1 million in 2012 with associated payment cards costs to the City of more than $2 million this year. Acceptance of payment cards comes at a cost to the City and its taxpayers. Council approved service fees to be charged for those who choose this new property tax payment option to ensure that fees are paid by only those who choose this payment channel rather than by all taxpayers.
Service fees charged by the third party provider are:
- 1.99 per cent of the payment amount for transactions over $25
- $0.50 for transactions of $25 or less
- payment cards will not be accepted for transactions totalling less than $1
The City of Ottawa does not receive any part of the service fee which is charged by the City’s third-party provider, Paymentus Corporation. The service fee covers the fees charged by payment card companies and the costs of handling and processing a payment.
Providing this new user-pay option will:
- maintain fairness and stewardship of public funds by protecting taxpayers from costs associated with payment card use by those who choose this option
- reduce the City’s costs related to payment card fees
- allow users to accumulate payment card loyalty rewards without the costs being borne by taxpayers
- enable expanded access to self-serve web-based payments
- enable the expansion of payment card use across more business lines
Credit card payments for property taxes are not accepted at Client Service Centres or by mail. Cash or cheques will continue to be accepted for all payments.
To make a property tax payment online, go to the Ottawa.ca home page, and within the ServiceOttawa box select “Pay Your Property Tax Bill.”